Burglaries and home invasions are terrifying and can happen to anyone! Unfortunately, they happen often due to neglect from homeowners and renters. There are steps that each California homeowner can take to help protect their homes. These steps may also help by lowering your homeowner’s insurance premiums and the frequency of your claims.
Something that is easily overlooked such as an open window or unlocked door could entice a criminal into breaking in. Don’t make yourself a target! A homeowner in California should take these precautions to avoid being a victim:
- Secure all windows and doors with a sturdy lock. Even when you are in the home.
- Know your neighbors! They are your eyes when you are away.
- Do not leave any boxes or bags from recent expensive purchases in your trash!
- Install adequate sensor lighting on the outside of your home if possible.
- Keep the outside of your home clean and well maintained.
- Be sure all bushes/trees and flowers are trimmed away from bottom floor windows.
- Install a security system.
For an evaluation of your California home insurance policy contact American TriStar Insurance Services at 800-249-7875.